Saturday, July 01, 2006

Activism is Alive on Both Sides - Day 5 in the District

Yesterday was an amazing day. I began it early when I arrived at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank group where I met Carol Moore who was a sole protester against a War on Iran. Her, fear was that it could lead to a nuclear war with Russia. Although, I don't agree with many of her points here, she did provide a look at how one person perserveres through such opposition. She was greeted with late arrivals, but they arrived too late. It was certainly interesting to watch. In the mid day, I interviewed some various people on their opinions about what and why people protest.

The night got even more interesting. I attended the weekly Walter Reed peace vigil in support of the troops and of their safe return soon. This vigil was very sound and had a collection of many other people, not just Code Pink. It also had a counter demonstration. The counter demonstration was led by a group called the free republicans or as they called themselves, "FReepers". They were more agressive, by that I mean, their mission was not only to spread a message of love and support of the troops, but it was made clear, especially from visiting their website, that they have the intent of obstructing and stopping the vigil. They also took pictures of their demonstration and the vigil. Meanwhile, the people in the vigil just try to keep their distance and stay away. I learned alot about the history of both groups and some dark sides of both. I don't want to say alot here because I am still researching both groups and I want to be as objective as possible with my documentary. Needless to say, I learned alot going to the site and it was a exciting experience. I was happy to see that evening that activism is still alive, on both sides.

Also, today was a day for some downtime. I planned to watch the launch at the National Air and Space museum, but it got scrubbed, than I saw Adam Sandler and Christopher Walken in "Click". Not a bad movie, got a little long, but it was funny. Also, I discovered Noodles and Co where I will likely have many, many dinners. And as I finish typing, the Red Sox won tonight 11-5 although ended their record breaking error streak.

Good Night and Good Luck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home