Friday, July 14, 2006

Alot Has Happened - Day 18 In The District

Hello All

Well, much has happened in my last post. However, I have been tired at the end of each day or distracted by various things to get a good post. So, now as I sit and watch 20/20, I am relaxed and ready to write.

Anyways, sorry for the little prologue, but here is the report.

First off, the Pentagon situation. I have still been stonewalled for getting "clearance" to take photos outside the Pentagon for the Catholic Worker Peace Vigil(DC Chapter). However, I was told by a Mr. John Lenger, director of publications of Harvard University, that my right is there and likely if I went to take pictures of the peace vigil. However, due to that it's my last week and I don't want to provoke any conflict, even if I am in the right, I will likely not be going back on Monday. I also got footage of the same group infront of the white house yesterday. I will present this issue in my documentary, I am not sure where or how, but it will be addressed that I was put through such a bureaucratic mess to try to see the peace vigil infront of the bus stop and parking lot.

Second, I attended a DC Anti-War Network(DAWN) meeting on tuesday. After suffering such a bureaucratic defeat on Monday, I was exhausted and was hoping to get some interviews and interact in a open planning meeting. However, when I arrived. The group was very inclusive and I couldn't take any film until everyone showed up and that I was authorized by the entire group. Normally, I'd be fine with this. But they did such a process through a exhausting bureaucratic process that would be seen in a UN or Congressional hearing, not a protest planning meeting. Honestly, I thought this process hurt the meeting because it was just so unnecessary. I got footage of the meeting so I can use it when I site the group, but after about 15 minutes I left knowing that I wasn't going to get interviews very soon, and having already been exhausted from the day before, I wasn't ready for that meeting.

I would like to point out I understand the need for much of the bureaucracy and practice in the US and international groups. I just simply believe that same strict policy was a little much for such a small network at the DAWN meeting.

Wednesday was a tourist day and I saw "Roving Mars", an IMAX picture at the National Air and Space Museum (NASM), and it was inspirational and provided some good hope for the future. I also got a good look at Smithsonian American Art Gallery and was happy to see so much in one building.

Thursday, I spent the entire morning at the Capitol. I then headed for the White House to cover a DAWN scheduled peace protest at 12, but when I got there, I found out I had lost my microphone. After searching and getting a much needed lunch, I realized I left it at the room where DAWN holds their meetings, so I went there and luckily someone from the main office was there and I retrieved it. I went back to the Capitol and made the most of my day covering the Operation House Call(Boots Demonstration) organized by Military Famlies Speak Out. I found out that later that day, members of CodePink where also at the Capitol earlier that day in a conference about the Iraq War. Two members, one being Father Louis Vitale(I interviewed him on the third), were arrested for causing a disturbance. They did get featured in the Post today.

Today, I covered CodePink and the Catholic Worker at the White House. I went in search of a DAWN protest infront of VP Cheney's house, but I could not find anyone. So I left to cover the Walter Reed Peace Vigil. This was my second time to the vigil, and it was even more interesting then the first. I was glad to be back because I had much more confidence in dealing with both sides and getting more of my questions answers better. I won't explain the whole backstory of the vigil, because you can find it at my earlier post. However, the vigil was larger on the Code Pink side this time(15 compared to 10), and the Freepers had about 15-20 spread on four corners. Once I got to the site, I set camp in the Code Pink side because I knew I could leave my stuff there with the other assorted bags. Also, because I was going to cover them last.

In any case, I went to Camp Freep and talked with more of the supporters. I got some good material that spoke to their message. There were two particular things that troubled me most. One, they spoke that Code Pink gave $ 650,000 to terrorists in Fallujah, Iraq. Here is what I found after speaking with Code Pink about the accusation and cross checking on the internet using Lexis Nexis to confirm the news source. If you read this article by the San Francisco Chronicle, you will get a good breif introduction to what happened. Now, for detailed information, Code Pink was among many peace organizations who assisted Mrs. McCaffrey and Ms. Avila raise $100,000 dollars to buy medical supplies, blankets, food, and etc and a group called Operation U.S.A. provided another $500,000 for additional supplies to Fallujahn refugees. Operation USA has many sponsors including Ernst & Young, Target, Tyco, Disney, and Warner Bros. Clearly, according to the Freepers, many of our most successful companies are aiding terrorists. Even our hospitals with St. Jude Medical Center on that list.

The Freepers also had new signs on their cars that were lined up on the side of the road headed in the direction of Code Pink's vigil. There were four cars with four pink signs that say the following in order:

Sign 1: DON'T BE FOOLED
Sign 2: BY THEIR FLAGS
Sign 3: UP AHEAD
Sign 4: PINKO HAGS

Nevermind the subliminal messaging, but this did appear strange to me considering they said their principled purpose was to hold a rally in support of the troops. I asked the question to one of the Freepers who chose not to give me his real name and instead of answering the question, he talked about how Code Pink aids terrorists.

Anyways, that was my experience on that side. I then headed for Code Pink and met more of the same activists I described in my first post. I did have an interesting encounter with a soldier, who will remain unidentified, but he was younger than myself, and had originally lived in a state far away of D.C. He appreciated Code Pink's concern and told me how his family has moved to D.C. One problem fact, although he has enrolled in college, he may be redeployed. I talked to him about young people in the army and he said that "it was the young guys who were getting killed". It was one of my most difficult conversations because he had been through so much, and I could hardly emphasize having not served a minute in the service. I do respect all I talked with him about and am proud that men and women like him who serve. My only hope is we can bring everyone else home soon.

Finally, I want to note, I have said alot of partisan stuff in this post particularly. My documentary is not aimed to be partisan. I am going to approach that objectively, I give my opinions here because it's a blog and it's the place for my opinions. However, you can follow my links and anything I confirm is fact. With my interviews, I take what people say and find out if they are exaggerating. Now, some people may not consider the Freepers for lying, because in their sense they're not. They consider all citizens of Iraq to be terrorists considering what they said. But I simply wanted to clarify that it wasn't money sent over their, but humanitarian aid. Anyways, again, please don't assume that my documentary will be as partisan as this blog. My documentary has yet to be organized and will look at things as objectively as humanly possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home